From the "History of The Big Bend Country."
Wilbur was platted in April, 1889 by Samuel Wilbur Condin (Wild Goose Bill). In may of that year the building of a railroad to Wilbur had become an assured fact. Surveyors were put to work establishing a grade through the rocky canyon and officials high in authority in the Central Washington Company announced, without reservation, that the road was coming to Wilbur. Authenticity was given to this information by the activity displayed by railroad officials in securing interests in the Wilbur townsite. Messr. Huson, Riordan, Ashton and other members of the Columbia Townsite & Investment Company, composed of parties of the "inner circles" of the railroad company visited Wilbur and had a conference with S.W. Condin, owner of the Wilbur townsite, and Rolland J. Reeves, who represented Mr. Condin. The townsite buyers came prepared to entertain any proposition Mr. Condin might have to ffer in consideration of the railroad locating a depot in Wilbur. Condin left it entirely to the gentlemen to say what the new road desired. Their proposition was one-half interest in the original townsite and the addition, as well as in the proceeds of sales made, and a like interest in an unplatted eighty-acre tract of deeded land adjoining, in consideration of which the road would locate a depot on the original townsite before the close of the year. Mr. Condin asked for, and received time to consider this proposition, and, being materially aided by lot owners in the new town, concluded to accept the terms of the railroad men. Thus the management of the Wilbur townsite passed into the hands of a company of energetic men who possessed ample capital and vim with which to develop the resources of the town.