Courtesy of the late Mike Denuty.
The facilities at Beverly were in keeping with a mountain railroad, being that the 2.2% grade headed west was just on the other side of the Columbia River bridge. Steam engines were not rated for very much hauling ability on this grade, so when the electrification was installed in 1919, the amount a train could take up the hill was greatly increased, due to their better ability. The wye was installed here about 1908 because, until the bridge across the Columbia was completed, Beverly was the end of the line for any train movements from the east. It then continued use to turn the steam-powered helpers and, after 1913, the steam power used on the Hanford branch. After electric boxcabs were used as helpers, beginning in 1919, which were double-ended units, the wye remained solely for turning the steam, and later diesel, power working the Hanford branch.