From “The Star,” Grand Coulee, WA
Dec. 29, 1949
Crews employed by Morrison-Knudsen, have begun removal of railroad tracks near the Vista House. This means the end of the famous little tourist train, forced to bow to the hand of progress in the $1,691,666 river channel improvement contract.
The job involves much excavation, huge amounts of rock quarrying and placement of thousands of tons of armor rock to form adequate future protection for the banks of the Columbia River immediately downstream from Grand Coulee Dam.