Saturday, March 27, 2010

Removal of the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern

From "History of The Big Bend Country."


The close of the year 1898 marked the removal from Lincoln county of an old landmark--nothing less than a railroad. The Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railway, which had created so much enthusiasm among the citizens of the county at the time of its construction, but which was operated only a short time, was of no use to the company which owned it and the rails were taken up and utilized in the extension of branches in Idaho. The destroying hand of time has since erased the embankments, and a few cuts through the barren "scab land" are all that is left to indicate that a railroad ever passed that way.

No comments: