Courtesy of the Othello Community Museum.
This is the recently completed substation at Taunton in 1919. This was the first substation along the Coast Division outside of Othello. Commercial power was supplied to the substation at 100,000 volts a.c. and then converted to 3000 volts d.c. via motor-generator sets inside the building. The power was then transmitted to the overhead wires above the tracks for the electric locomotives to use. The number 21 came from all the substations along the line being numbered from east to west. The proposed substations between Othello and Avery, ID were never built.